Thursday, September 13, 2012

Road Rage!



... and for once not toward other drivers.

*****UPDATE  9/20/12*****

Okay so this made me laugh.  On my way into work this morning they (they being VDOT) said that all of the construction would be postponed because of the horrible conditions of last week.  We are talking 6,7,8 hour back ups in three days.  AWFUL horrible terrible traffic jams.  And they still don't consider the bridge (not bridge tunnel) a 'main route across the bay.  I truly hope that the officials of this area learned a valuable lesson~at the expense of all of those people who where trapped in traffic for like all day.  I mean people were calling in 'stuck in traffic' to work, because by the time the traffic started to move- their shift was over. I luckily was not one of those poor saps, but still.  What did the construction crews and highway officials think would have happened? 

I am still laughing about this, and will be until they announce their next BRILLIANT plan for our roads.


Our roads are bad, like tire busting bad, and I am talking major highways.  So logically road work is in order.  Welll, the lovely common wealth that I so happen to reside in has decided to work on every major highway, by way and surface street at once, with multiple construction zones with in a 10 mile stretch, some of which forcing drivers to drive in the shoulder.  They are intelligent enough to do almost all of their work at night... when I have to drive through it.

So that doesn't sound too terrible right? Really it's not, but what is, is when the area in which I live is like the WORST, I mean WORST when it comes to car accidents.  We have at least 4 a day- four that slows down one highway or another. So add this with the construction, and some nights I don't get to drive, I get to inch down the road- I could probably walk the 40 miles home faster.  No kidding.

Now let's add another layer to this fun filled driving nightmare. There are only three ways between the two major metro areas, two are tunnels and one is a draw bridge.  The tunnels get backed up, one direction or another, at least once a day- and the bridge goes up at least once a day, if not twice- during rush hours.  So in the Department of Transportation's infinite wisdom they are closing down one direction of one of the major tunnels for three weekends in a row and one direction of the draw bridge for the same amount of time leaving ONE way for me and the rest of the cracker jack drivers to get to work.  ONE WAY.  With three ways, I am lucky to not get slowed down, or have to find an alternate route- NOW they are leaving NO alternate and forcing every one through a very tiny funnel - OUT of my way mind you - during the WEEKENDS. When everyone is driving to go out, to go to the beach while the weather is still nice, to shop, to take the kids to sports, and concerts and all the other stuff we have to do around here- which is a lot, and which is scattered across like 7 cities that makes up two metro areas.

This makes me want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment